About 18 months ago or so, I attended the November Delegates conference of the Minnesota State University Student Association (MSUSA). During the conference, I was able the Public Relations break out session lead by Jered Weber, who is the Director of Communications of MSUSA.
During the breakout session, Weber talked about how often you should post on Facebook – more specifically, Facebook Pages – and on Twitter. According to Weber:
- You should post 1 to 3 times per day and 5 to 10 times a week on your Facebook page
- You should tweet regularly throughout the day.
Weber did disclose that there are several different theories on how often you should post. But here’s the breakdown that I see:
- If you have a Facebook Page, you should post attempt to post once a week, but no more then 10; unless you are a news source.
- You should include a photo in your post, since they take up more space on people’s timelines; and if you can, post photos in which you can tag fans of your page so more people will see it.
- With Twitter, tweet as regularly as you can. After all, Twitter is meant in many ways to be a constant connect with your followers.
- With Instagram, I’d say aim for two or three times week at least.
- For YouTube, I’d go with one of the following depending on your purpose:
- News account: daily, Monday through Friday or once a week
- Personal Vlog: Once or twice a week
- Tutorials: Once a week
- Blog: At least once a week
Now, these aren’t fast and hard suggestions. Ultimately, it all depends on why you’re using a particular social media site. I have a friend who uses twitter to mainly follow web designers and retweet them. And there are people who use blog hosting sites to create personal websites or websites for their businesses.